Tuesday 9 October 2012

Entry #3-Birthday Sparkling Wine & Atheist Conversations

*Yes I'm posting again right now*

So one of my best friends turned 19 today. After getting messed up enough for the rest of the week yesterday in celebration (there was some puking and weird questions), we have a (harmless) gentleman's toast of sparkling wine (courtesy of a lady friend of ours).

Though I would love to recount the escapade of yesterday, this post is about a deep conversation we had over the wine about our theological tendencies. More specifically our tendencies to not have them at all.

I will be straightforward. I am an Atheist. I urge you not to take it as arrogance or hostility towards your faith when I add that I am a damn proud of Atheist. Not because I think that any theist is even remotely below me but because I believe it is a form of personal achievement to ditch your society's baggage and proclaim what you truly believe (or in this case don't believe) in. In some way, it's the religious equivalent of coming out of the closet.

I don't exclude theists from my life of course but it so happens that the closest people to me are at least very skeptical of religion and faith in general. Not that they're better human beings than anyone else in any way but because I simply feel more comfortable around them.

As what I could not differentiate from champagne slid smoothly down my throat, we discussed how our skeptical grandfathers made us scared as kids when we still strongly believed in Hell. I recounted how my grandfather this summer told me about how Islam was nothing more than a smarter tool for the priests to control their subjects as they found that the worldly nature and obsession with physical characteristics of paganism eventually failed.

Yes, we do poke fun at religion every now and then. I hope this doesn't cause anyone reading this to spontaneously decide to take up arms against me in the hopes of purifying the world from what millions will label "satanism" (if you are one of them, joke's on you muthafucka you don't know me muhahaha) however given how I intended this blog to be my only true form of expression to the world, I cannot lie in it.

There will be many entries to come about my beliefs as this one was merely intended as both an introduction and a brief recounting of how awesome the toast and the sparkling wine were.

Now I seriously say goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment